Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Give Thanks

My mom always made the pie crusts for Thanksgiving pies and I would always fill and bake them.  This is our first year without her, but as I cut the shortening into the flour, and rolled out dough, I could hear her coaching!  I have a feeling that I didn't get them rolled out quite as thin as she would have, but like all good things, practice makes perfect! 

I love to make pumpkin pie with pumpkins from our garden; it's a little more work than opening a can but it's worth it!  First you have to cut, clean, and peel the pumpkin.  Then boil until soft.  Mash or run through a blender.  Measure 2 cup servings and freeze until your ready to make pie (or Patsy's cheesecake!) 

Here's my recipe:
Fresh Pumpkin Pie
2 cups cooked pumpkin
1 cup sugar
1/2 stick butter, melted & cooled slightly
3 eggs
1/2 cupbuttermilk
1T vanilla
1/2 t ginger
1/2 t nutmeg
1 t cinnamon
                                                        1/2 t lemon juice

Beat the eggs and sugar.  Add remaining ingredients and mix. Pour into a deep dish pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 min or until the knife comes out clean!  Yum!

I thought I'd share a table cloth I started using our 12" crazy stars down the center and eventually 4" stars for a drop (both from our Star Crossing book) but I keep thinking I'll get a bigger table (it's an annual Thanksgiving thing and then I get over it!)  I do want it to fit my future table, so who knows, it may never get done!  But it's sure gonna be cute.....if only in my mind!


I've got Needle Love's Crazy Pumpkin Quilt on the dessert table, my boys are home early (I think to eat rolls fresh out of the oven!) and we look forward to the family gathering.  I hope you all have a blessed Thanksgiving!  Let's all count our blessings and we'll never be poor!








4 comments:

  1. Your pie sounds wonderful. Save me a piece. One thing I'm very thankful for is wonderful Buggy Barn designs and the great staff. I've started on Farm Fresh so I'm doubly thankful today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! I just love that quilt...I don't know where it came from but I, too, am thankful that the ideas keep coming! You really need to try my pie. Usually, mom never made deep dish so there was extra and I just dumped it in a pie pan and made crustless pie just for me! I'm trying hard not to sample my wares before tomorrow. Last year I got caught....everyone (Ron) wanted to know who had taken the sliver out of the pie! That would be me! Have a great thanksgiving! I finally figured out my blog hop pattern today so I am doubly thankful! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TOTALLY love the pumpkins... your home is beautiful! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Pat! Hope you had a terrific holiday also!

    ReplyDelete